The Long Beach Day Nursery is dedicated to being a partner with working parents for the personal growth and development of each child. It is a program that provides a balance of physical nurturance and exercise; emotional support and encouragement; and intellectual stimulation and growth.
Young children develop rapidly. In fact, more development occurs during the first five years than at any other stage of life. A balance of physical, social, emotional and intellectual stimulation is essential for this development to be optimal. In our program we support or enrich this development:
- Physically, by providing a well-balanced diet and an outstanding playground;
- Socially and Emotionally, by listening, encouraging self-care and independence, taking care of hurts, hugging and playing, as well as providing structure and consequences;
- Intellectually, by talking, exposing the children to new experiences, explaining new ideas and generally preparing them for future life experiences.
Thus, LBDN provides a child-centered environment with:
- Long periods of uninterrupted free time, thus allowing the child to move at their own pace, in their own place;
- The freedom to explore their environment with few restrictions, which does not mean that there are “no rules”;
- Adults acting as facilitators of learning and not the keeper of the stuff that children want;
- Lots of outdoor play time to ensure that children are healthy and grow physically.